If psychology fascinates you and you decide to pursue a career in this field, it is essential to know about the different subfields as well.
Does studying the behavior of people define psychology? Partially yes, but not completely! In a broad spectrum, psychology is very much related to understanding exactly how the human brain functions. So, instead of just learning about someone’s mind, it’s more about explaining, analysing, predicting, and controlling mental processes.
Hence, if psychology fascinates you and you decide to pursue a career in this field, it is essential to know about the different subfields as well. There are multiple branches of study under this subject, such as, neuroscience, educational, behavioral, clinical, social, cognitive psychology, thus providing you numerous undergraduate and postgraduate course options.
But, what are the career opportunities that open up after specializing in these areas?
Here are the 5 Top Career Options in Psychology:
Different surveys have shown that people often have an assumption that a degree in psychology only leads to pursuing higher degree courses. But, reality is a bit different. Let us introduce you to the top 5 psychology-related careers that can unfold into a bright future.
1. Psychiatrists: Well, almost everybody knows about this particular medical field. Alongside the course study, these doctors get special training in psychology to treat patients having emotional or mental disorders. A psychiatrist is often confused with a psychologist. But note that, a psychiatrist possesses a medical degree and has the right to prescribe medicines and necessary treatment to his/her patients through medical examinations and diagnostic tests, which is not permissible for psychologists. The eligibility for becoming a psychiatrist differs in various states. While in some places, a bachelor degree makes you eligible, in some, you need a proper medical degree.
2. School Counselors: If you aspire to teach in a school, having a higher degree in psychology can fetch you jobs like that of an educational psychologist, a school counselor or a school psychologist. The three varieties of the job are closely associated with the mental wellbeing of the students as well as employees of the school. The escalating competitions and skyrocketing expectations these days often result in tremendous mental pressure amongst students. Helping them to cope up is thus the need of the hour, thereby creating job opportunities.
3. Psychiatric Technician: Another field that is closely related to the medical unit, is that of a psychiatric technician. A person in this job is responsible for the mental wellness of the patient and reporting the condition to the doctor. Besides, rehabilitating the patient and taking care of the oral and injected medicines of unstable patients is also the responsibility of these technicians. This job may seem a bit physically challenging, but offers good pay too.
4. Psychometrist: The job of a psychometrist or a clinician is primarily associated with the psychological testing of the patients and scoring them accordingly. However, a clinician is not entitled to assess test results. This job can be done on both clinical as well as an organisational set up, although the type of patient may vary. To apply for this job, one must have a degree in clinical psychology and the desired knowledge of administering and scoring tests. Based on the location, the salary may vary.
5. Substance Abuse Counselor: Since the level of addiction is rising exponentially worldwide, so is the demand for a counselor. The eligibility for this job requires only an academic background. However, to cope up with the situation and dealing with such patients requires a powerful personality. Patients who are under the recovery process or showing withdrawal symptoms may be tough to manage at times. So, few states demand a proper license or certification to become a counselor.
While these are only the top 5 lucrative career options after having a degree in psychology, there are tons more. Hence, if you love this subject, there should be no looking back!